Monday, July 11, 2016

The Purity of a Pure Heart

"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." Matthew 5:8
This verse has always been significant for me. In my younger years I struggled with its meaning. What did it mean to be "pure in heart?" I knew how to live in purity outwardly even though I, like all people, failed at it regularly. But the "in heart" part was puzzling for me. I wondered if it had to do with my thoughts which were so difficult to control. I reasoned that if my thoughts were impure then my heart was as well. But again, possessing regular pure thoughts proved so challenging. In fact, if I can be transparent, it was practically impossible. 

Often when I reflect on Matthew 5:8 the words of Paul in Ephesians 5:3 come to mind:
But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints.
 "ALL impurity" is not to even be named among you. How could there be any hope for me or anyone else? I struggle with keeping my thoughts in check. And, if you are honest, you do as well. So, what's the bottom line?


The Purity of a Pure Heart | Knowing Your Heart

pure-in-heart
Jesus was always having to explain to the Pharisees that the outward expressions of the Law were not what made them right in God's sight. They were so focused on ceremonial washings and cleansings. They expected to see God as a result of these outward rituals. 

But Jesus came to make us pure inwardly. This inward purification is not based on what we do outwardly but is completely based on His sacrifice for our sins. What He did makes us pure in heart. It is true that no one will see God unless his or her soul has been delivered from all sin. It is through the blood of the cross that we have hope to see God.




The "actions" of the purified heart naturally follow our redemption. We may struggle with impure thoughts and actions but living continuously in those things will not be the norm. Prayerful and heart-felt repentance will be the norm for those whose hearts have been purified by the sacrifice of our Lord. We will not endorse impurity at any level for ourselves or anyone else. Paul's words related to not allowing impurity to even be named among us will take on new meaning for us. We will not live by those words so much out of obligation but more out of a desire to honor the Lord for just how far He went to purify us.

So, how's your heart? Has it been redeemed and made pure? If so, are you living in purity out of a desire to honor the Lord in every area of your life? This is a question I deal with regularly.


The Purity of a Pure Heart | Seeing God

People often talk about the day that they leave this earthly realm, enter God's presence and see Him. They, like I do, put it in very positive terms. We all look forward to that day. But none of us can truly imagine what it will be like. We merely know that it will be awesome. 
pure-in-heart

The expression "they shall see God" is actually a reference to possessing God and being happy in the knowledge that He has purified us. It has more to do with the here and now than it does with the eternal. The statement is simply a Hebraistic expression. These expressions were common in Jesus' day. It may be an expression, but it's meaning is potent. Seeing God is living in the joy of His presence. 

Living in His presence will help monitor the thoughts of our mind and our outward actions. Knowing He is with us will help us to evaluate everything we do and live righteously out of an overwhelming desire to do so.

I trust these words have been a blessing, 

Tony Guthrie, PhD.
tguthriebiz@gmail.com
404-933-0418

===================================

I would REALLY appreciate your comments. Please share them below. And please share this post with others. The social icons below will assist you :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The Heart of God's Grace

I remember watching the mini-series Jesus of Nazareth as a teenager. Of course at the time I wasn't very knowledgeable about the Bible ...